Thursday 23 March 2017

Highlights from Hamilton - Matamata - Tirau - Hamurana (Northern side of Lake Rotorua)

 Arriving into Hamilton, I had a warm showers hosts (Anita & Chris), who lived just south of this lake and beside the Hamilton Gardens. This was a beautiful sight to come into!



 The local square dancing club out and about in the gardens. Did you know, whatever country you're in, Line Dancing is always called in English? Useless fact for you.


This is the local isite in Matamata. 12km from Hobbiton - cool eh?! Would've been even cooler if the admission to get into Hobbiton wasn't $79.



 This is the building the Tirua isite is in...

 The merino shop in Tirau...

 A few weeks ago, when I cycled to the top of Denniston on the West Coast I met the most wonderful couple, Mary & Murray. They invited me to stay if I got to Rotorua...so I did! Hamurana is on the northern side of the lake and there was fabulous views from their place.


 These guys do lots of biking and adventuring (mountain & road) and we spent a great time sharing adventures and travels. I look forward to seeing them down South one day! Murray may have even convinced me to get a mountain bike and do the Old Ghost Road...;)
The coolest socks in the world. Mary knitted them...and gave them to me. Such kind and generous people! She also set me off with a great selection of home baking and a ride to Opotiki. From here I'm going to head around the East Cape to Gisborne. Crossing my fingers there are no more punctures; the North Island has given me 4 in the past week!

12 comments:

  1. Hi,
    You're sure right about those socks being the coolest in the
    world! The lake looks looks beautiful! I hope you get a chance to look at my blog! http://ymsariana.blogspot.co.nz/

    Thanks,
    Ariana, Rimu Class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ariana!

      I did have a look at your blog; I will have another! I love seeing your learning and the different ways you are sharing it. I hope you're having a great week!

      Miss Blair :)

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    Those are some amazing views! That was very nice of them to let you stay. I really like your socks, so so bright!

    Prudence,
    Yaldhurst Model School

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prudence!

      It's so great to hear from you. How is the term going for you? I am pretty tired now...I'm looking forward to getting down South! Yes, it was very nice - I have met some very kind people - Kiwis are the best! ;) What are you looking forward to in the next few weeks?

      Miss Blair :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Mis Blair,

    It looks like you had a lot of fun.
    Did you have a go at square dancing?
    I am so sorry you couldn't go to hobbiton because I am reading the hobbit and I have the one ring to rule them all replica

    Keep going on your biking journey.
    Kind regards ian.

    Canterbury
    Yaldhurst Model School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian!

      Great to hear from you. It was a great time exploring that part of the North Island. No, I didn't have a go at square dancing - my legs were a bit sore. I sat on the grass and had a milkshake instead! I haven't read The Hobbit yet - I should. Do you like it? See you soon!

      Miss Blair :)

      Delete
  4. Kia ora Miss Blair,

    What has it been like biking around, I would suppose it's really tiring?
    It would have been cool to be able to go to hobbiton but you couldn't what a shame, but I suppose those views you get to see make up for it don't they. It would be a real big dream of mine to bike around NZ.

    Hope you are enjoying the rest of your journey -

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Julia!

      Great to hear from you! You definitely should bike around parts of NZ when you get older, it's the best way to travel. I'll have to read The Hobbit, watch all the Lord of the Rings movies, then make a visit to Hobbiton! Did you like their isite? How are you enjoying the term? Is it fun being in the same class as your brother? ;)

      See you soon!
      Miss Blair :)

      Delete
  5. It was lovely having to stay with us it was just a shame you couldn't have stayed longer as there is so much to see here and in Taupo that we could have taken you to see perhaps another time. Glad the soxs fitted. And obviously others liked them too.we do intend to catch up again in the South when next we are down. Safe travels and enjoy the rest of your journey. Mary and Murrsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Yes, lots to see and do - will have to come up again! Enjoying relaxing in Gisborne and the $10 movies at the Odeon on a Tuesday!

      Hope the week is going well!
      Ruth :)

      Delete
  6. Socks, good views and line dancing. Sounds like the perfect place to visit. I am loving all the isites. Good to know our country is creative. Hobbiton is apparently worth every cent, what a shame you couldn't afford to go. Dan is totally doing the Old Ghost Road sometime, you could join him. Almost at the finish! Go you!!!! :) Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - Dan would be at the finish and I would be meandering the first 5km! The Gisborne isite isn't nearly as creative, in fact I pretty much just walked right past it. I have found a very cool bookstore with a cafe upstairs...my kind of store! See you soon!

      Delete